Sunday, April 5, 2009

Better things to do

I probably do have better things to do, but instead I'll blog about a few random things.
First, Ryan's birthday--great success, loads of fun. He is the easiest child to shop for, because if it is Star Wars related it is a hit. Highlights: golfing, lunch, and a trip to Game Stop (where he got to buy the Kung Fun Panda game and learn the valuable lesson of buying it second hand so you only spend $20 rather than the $50 at Target!). We've spent the weekend putting together Lego sets.
I love Legos, and I absolutely love putting the sets together. Simple, clear instructions, a reliable end result--nothing better. However--the little pieces make me anxious; not that we have kids that will choke on them anymore, just the idea of losing them! I hate losing things (major, major pet peeve of mine!) and it even bugs me to just lose one small part of a large lego set. We are already missing a shovel from the Indiana Jones set and it has caused me a disproportionate amount of stress. Get a grip Jeanne!
Conference was nice, but I have to honestly say that I look forward to sometime watching conference without feeling a lot of guilt. Not only do I end up feeling guilty about all the things I am not doing, or the things I am doing wrong, I end up feeling guilty for being distracted by legos, kids' quarrels, laundry. And the guilt of drifting off to sleep once I force myself to sit down and listen. Please don't bother giving me advice about this, because I guarantee I have probably already thought about it, it just doesn't work. (Grouchy, grouchy. . . )
One of the questions I asked myself during conference (it was 24 minutes into the Saturday morning session when the "living beyond your means" phrase came up): are we wrong to want to sell this house? Am I being materialistic, consumeristic? Am I trying to keep up with the Joneses? It is hard to answer, because I want to say that no, it isn't unreasonable to want a house with more than one bathroom for a family of 6; my husband works hard for the money he makes, and we can now afford a bigger, more expensive home, so shouldn't we do that? But then I remember the homes I visited in Russia--really, one ROOM apartments. And do you know how many really good people can say "Oh, I grew up in a small home with one bathroom and ## of siblings." My kids aren't being deprived, really, are they? Are my expectations, wants a little skewed?
Major highlight of the conference weekend: our good friends the Tanners came and had lunch with us in between conference sessions. It was good to visit with them, play games, eat a yummy lunch and then they went back to the stake center, and we turned the computer back on. I get such a kick out of how much both Tyler and Ryan adore President Tanner. And then we had yet another house showing.
So, time to gird up my loins, have a stiff upper lip, put my shoulder to the wheel and get ready for the regular school schedule to resume. Spring Break has been wonderful--best part: sleeping in. Am I ever going to feel like I get enough sleep? (And I say feel, because I do get enough sleep, it just never feels like it!) Don't answer that, because I know the answer, but a girl wants to dream.

4 comments:

It's us! The Powell's said...

Hilarious...I loved this post. Perhaps you can place an outhouse on the back porch...bathroom #2 - all problems solved.

grandkrumps said...

Oh, how I miss you and would love to sit down and discuss all these guilt-trips that are headed down dark paths. I, too, was doing laundry during Conference--only it was making a racket and I jumped up to close the laundry room door, and in the process set my notebook down on the TV remote, just in time for us to miss the announcement of Elder Andersen. We got it back just as we raised our arms to the square to sustain We-Didn't-Know-Who until we watched Elder Andersen walk down from his place in the 70s. Great choice. Great Conference. Can't wait to talk with you all!

Joe and Joanne said...

Jeanne! Friend! I love it when you post!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who posts "questions to the void" (not really wanting an answer, but wanting to throw the questions out there nonetheless), and it also helps knowing I'm not the the only one in the world who stresses too much about things.
You're a gem! I feel every one of your questions (only fitted to my own unique situation) so can sympathize.
General Conference goes by too fast. I just realized yesterday that the reason I always feel that way is because we're meant to study what was said over the next six months; it was never meant to necessarily be absorbed complete in one concentrated weekend setting. I'm sure they understand there will be some sleepy drifters, some who have to work on Saturdays, and some who are just plain distracted for one reason or another to pay too much attention at the immediate moment. The Ensign is a great thing...

Lucky you to get to see the Tanners! They are fabulous.

Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

McIntire Madness said...

So funny. Please move to a bigger house so that I don't have to justify one day, if we ever get there, that having more than one bathroom is reasonable. You are my hope!