But first a little back story. Every year, I debate sending cards out. I so enjoy receiving them, the photo cards from old friends, the beautiful cards, the letters, etc. But it really, simply put, is just a major stress for me each season. Forget the letters, all that writing puts me over the edge. I just can't seem to get the tone right--what is bragging about your kids and life experiences, what is sharing? A clever list, a poem? Aargh. And a picture--oh my word!! This year was fairly typical--the stomach flu and winter storms conspired against my simple desire to have a family picture with all 6 of us looking decent, at the camera, and maybe in Santa hats (that would have been cute, right?) I wasn't even dreaming of actually having us in matching/coordinating clothes. But no, that didn't work.
So, I finally gave up the dream of a recent, decent picture and instead opted to use a family shot from our great trip to Cannon Beach. Paul likes this picture, but I don't (pure, unadulterated vanity--I think I look like something the cat drug in). Margaret created a beautiful card for me to print and send out. I was almost convinced to just buck up and do it, despite not liking the picture when it occurred to me that 1) I would have to set up my printer to the new computer and get it all plugged in (it has been in the garage since the house is staged for selling)--a pain; 2) I would have to get Word loaded on the new computer so that I could access all the addresses and make address labels--another pain. We don't have Word on the new computer, because the Seattle-crippling winter storms hit and we didn't get to the Microsoft store to buy the new software. Sure, I could always handwrite all the addresses, but again--a pain. Do you see how the Grinch/Grouch stole Christmas cards from me this year?
My new goal is to try and do "We moved! Here's our new address cards" once we sell the house and get moved into a new one. And then Nadia and Jim did their Christmas cards on a blog, and I thought, heck I could do that, especially since the only people who look at my blog are my family, Paul's and a few friends. I can handle that.
Like I said, Margaret graciously designed the following card for me, when I was still optimistic about sending out cards. She does a great job, doesn't she?
And, drum roll, here it is.
5 comments:
Jeanne, that's exactly how I feel. After everything else, the Christmas card/letter just falls through the cracks. This year we were saved by my sister-in-law coming to town who took our family picture before church and designed our card. Even then, there's no letter...
I love your card. Have a wonderful Christmas together and enjoy the snow for both of us. (It's got to come our way sooner than later...)
This is as good as any card-in-hand! Merry Christmas, dear friend!
Wow- she does! You all look great. Thank you for sharing! Merry Christmas.
Beautiful card, beautiful solution--and you don't look like something the cat dragged in!
Jeanne - I love the picture, and you DO NOT look like something the cat drug in. You're much too hard on yourself, you look like you're on the beach and had a day of fun! You look fine!
I sympathize with you and not getting cards out. Christmas is just too busy of a season to have to worry about getting something like that done. Easter, for some reason is much less busy. So, I am going to do the third annual Easter Card again this year. Works for me. I can't wait to get your "we moved!" card with new address. :) That sounds like a great idea. I hope the sell of your house is going well, and that you find the perfect house to move into.
Thanks for the blog post.
Much love to you and the family!
Love,
Joanne
Post a Comment